Tattoos are above all an art form, they look great, but all too often we forget to take care of them! In order for a tattoo to heal correctly and look good, you need to use the right products.
The one thing you need to know is that once the tattoo artist has finished his/her job, it is all up to you! For those planning to get tattooed for the first time or those looking for some advice, this is what you need to know about taking care of your tattoo.
1. How do I prepare my skin before getting inked?
Once you have an appointment with the tattoo artist, you need to take some time to prepare. When talking about preparing, we are talking both about the skin and yourself. There are some things you need to think about before getting tattooed:
- Do not expose the area to be tattooed to the sun in the days leading up to the appointment, it could get sunburned and make things much more unpleasant.
- Remember to moisturize the area correctly with a good thick moisturizing cream. METEO LOGIC ® Body Moisturizing Cream provides an intense moisturizing effect, prevents premature skin aging and protects against environmental stress.
- Before getting tattooed, avoid drinking alcohol. A well-rested body and mind deal with pain much better.
- Do not cleanse with a scrub beforehand to avoid skin irritation.
- Be careful not to take medication that thins the blood, such as acetylsalicylic acid (=aspirin).
- On the day of the appointment, do not forget to eat to fight stress and excessive weariness.
2. After getting a tattoo, how do I take care of it?
After all the emotional build-up, there you are showing off your fresh ink! After finishing the tattoo, make sure that the artist will have correctly cleaned your skin and applied a good protective bandage. You should wear it for at least 4 to 6 hours, but you can keep it on for up to 24 hours to avoid dust or bacteria getting in the damaged skin.
Once you have removed the bandage, stay calm, it is totally normal if it does not look great. You will need to clean it to remove leftover ink residues, blood, antiseptic cream… We recommend using soap and water or an antiseptic to clean it off. After each washing, your skin and the tattoo have a tendency to dry out so you have to be on it with the moisturizer!
Our new ALGA CICOSA ® products were designed to help mend and soothe irritated, damaged or reactive skin. Everyone in the family can use them too (infants, children, adults). Their hypoallergenic formulas contain Alga-Sendatu®: a patented reparative active ingredient that is natural-origin (extracted from Basque Red Seaweed). It promotes the reconstruction of the superficial layers of the skin. In this way, ALGA CICOSA ® products are perfect for your skin as it recovers from the process of getting tattooed.
Active Ingredients of ALGA CICOSA ®:
- Alga-Sendatu® (Gelidium sesquipedale): patented Red Seaweed extract, promotes the natural regeneration of the upper layers of the skin.
- Natural Phospholipids: create a lamellar (=”in layers”) emulsion for a “second skin” effect and enhanced penetration of the other active ingredients.
- Organic Starflower Oil and Organic Prune Oil: rich in the essential Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, with softening, soothing, and regenerating properties.
- Organic Shea Butter: rich in vitamin E, essential Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, nurtures, moisturizes and protects the skin from external stress.
- Organic Aloe Vera: moisturizing, soothing and protective properties (makes a protective layer on the surface of the skin preventing moisture loss).
- Sodium hyaluronate: an important part of the NMF (Natural Moisturizing Factor), it catches and maintains a reservoir of moisture in the surface of the skin.
It is important to keep the skin moisturized and thus to use a product that works well, but that also lets the skin breathe.
3. Help, it is itchy!
Some scabbing and dead skin will surely appear during the healing process, make sure to not pick at it! If you do, you risk making light spots or “holes” in the tattoo. And after all the pain that you have been through, you do not want to ruin it! If it really itches too bad, putting ice on the area should help calm the urge.
Read all about our new ALGA CICOSA ® products here.
Now you are ready to get tattooed with peace of mind! We hope by following this advice, you will have the best looking tattoos this summer!